Friday, June 17, 2005

No Recording Devices Allowed


Yesterday I went to D.C. to see Mark O'Connor and Nadja Salerno-Sonnenberg perform at The Kennedy Center. While I wondered if a pencil and pad of paper were included when they announced before the program that no recording devices were allowed, I decided that I was willing to risk all for my art, no matter the amount of a fine or the lengh of imprisonment, I would suffer it. So I sketched these, albeit a bit nervously, and went undetected until after the show when I casually and cooly slipped them to Mark and Nadja as they signed autographs. A brief moment of panic on my part as they paused, looking at me intently as they realized what I had done, but then joy joy joy as they gave me a knowing smile, hid the drawing from view and signed it. I could just tell they recognized a fellow rebel artist in me. Really, I'm totally sure that's what those looks they gave me meant.